Monday, February 27, 2012

The Oscars' Best-Dressed '12

All day, the Oscars' “Best-Dressed” will be picked apart by gossip rags like Cosmopolitan and People, and by self-proclaimed critics like Joan Rivers. Since it’s the Monday after the Oscars, I guess that’s their job, but I will say I’ve read People, I’ve watched E!, and they couldn’t know less about fashion. People regularly has cover stories about Real Housewives that are heading to rehab, and E! is responsible for giving us “Keeping Up With the Kardashians.” So let’s consider the importance of their opinions.

If you want true fashion-based opinions on Oscar gowns, Vogue.com will post pictures, I’m sure (if they haven’t already). New York Magazine’sthe Cut” blog will probably be posting follow-up stories all day. And then check with honest fashion bloggers like the Man Repeller (whom you all know now, I’m obsessed with). I’d expect her to write something.

Or you can scroll down! Because I wrote my own reviews of what I think were the seven best-dressed. No, my opinions are not nearly as important as Vogue or NYMag, but I can promise you that they will be more sound than People or Joan Rivers.

But first, a special thanks to the seven stylists who worked with these celebrities: … Wait, no one knows who they are, because celebrities like to take the credit. Well, stylists, whomever you are, we know you are out there, and we thank you for being so content in your crucial, behind-the-scenes, thankless job!

7. Judy Greer in Monique Lhuillier. Greer is my wildcard. Her dress is actually too long in the front, but I still really like it. It’s safe, but fashion-forward. It’s geometric, which we love. And it’s slimming. Black stripes down the hips is something most women would find intimidating, but I really think it had a slimming effect on Greer.










6. Tina Fey in Carolina Herrera. Fey jokes about not enjoying these red carpet events, or having to parade around in something high-fashion, but look how well she pulled off this custom Herrera peplum gown! She looks like a million bucks. You’d never guess she prefers Old Navy jeans, and her hand shoved halfway down a Pringles can.












5. Melissa McCarthy in Marina Rinaldo. You’re going to see McCarthy and Octavia Spencer on a lot of people’s best-dressed today, and it’s because we all need a token plus-size woman, so that we, as fashion critics, seem fair and well-rounded. And although both were beautiful, Spencer doesn’t deserve best-dressed because her sleeves fit awkwardly on her fat arms. (Don’t act like you didn’t think it. We’re getting real here). But McCarthy is on my best-dressed because she epitomized the principles I would encourage for any plus-sized woman shopping in my store. Most importantly, she had a waist—and a strong, sparkly one at that. Second, she made the fabric work for her, the way it’s gathered at her waist and then falls out. It adds to her hourglass silhouette. The only thing I’d say is, I’d like to see it without the sleeves that she clearly had tacked on.



4. Livia Giuggioli in Valentino. I don’t know who Giuggioli is. I just found out last night she’s married to Colin Firth. But, I loved her dress in classic Valentino red.















3. Angelina Jolie in Alterier Versace. OK, so Jolie walked around all night, thrusting her thigh out there like a Viking marking his territory. But her obnoxious body language aside, the dress looked awesome.














2. Michelle Williams in Louis Vuitton. For whatever reason, I don’t really care for Michelle Williams. But you have to admit, she epitomizes class in this coral/red Vuitton.














1. Glenn Close in Zac Posen. There isn’t anything I don’t love about what Glenn Close wore last night. I love Zac Posen, and she pulled off his dress flawlessly. It was slimming on her. Emerald green is a good color for her. And then she added this touch of masculinity from the tuxedo jacket—a look she carries off so well. Though many of her counterparts are years younger, Close blew away her competition on the red carpet last night.










Special thanks to Style.com for loaning me all of my pictures for today's post.

1 comment:

  1. You make me laugh and your taste is impeccable. Jolie was my fave. But Glen Close! Who knew she was timeless until now?

    ReplyDelete